Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What kind of gamer are you?

[Eurogamer] Industry analyst Sean Dromgoole has identified a range of gaming "types" as part of an attempt to explain who plays what games - and why.

....

GameVision regularly surveys 40,000 people across Europe, don't you know; he's not just making it up. So - are you a dabbling pack wolf with snacker tendencies, or a reformed hardcore scrapper who's now a loyalist lone ranger? And will you be updating your Facebook status accordingly?

Link to entire article.


Just to list a few:

- Dabblers/Marginals - people who bought two or less games in past two months and play for less than an hour a day

- Loyalist - buys not too many games but take a long time playing them (and most like actually finish them).

- Magpie - buys a lot of games but (I guess) a plays a little of each and might abandon them.

- Pack wolves - online cooperative players

- Lone Rangers - players who prefer solo gaming experiences. (eg Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy)

- Snackers - people who like pick-up-and-play games. (eg Minigames collections, BrainAge)

- Lifers - people who like sim games. (eg Sims and Animal Crossing)

3 comments:

MC said...

I own 1 in 10 of the titles released in North America for the Playstation 2.

I don't know if that makes me a magpie or hardcore gamer.

GatheringDust said...

You can be both. According to the article, "hardcore" seems to be defined as people who buy 3 or more games in the past two months and play at least an hour a day.
(I think most people will not agree that is "hardcore". Three games in the past two months and only an hour of gaming a day is hardcore -- you have got to be kidding. But whatever. :) )

Too bad there's no link to original analysis report.

I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to psp and ds games. But the ps2 and ps3 I tend to finish like a good loyalist.

- Ravenblack

MC said...

Even though I have a lot of games, I finish a majority of them after I've started playing them.

I've bought two games a week for the past 3 months. I have a huge backlog, but I don't have plans to buy a PS3 for a couple of years, so I will eventually play through those titles.