Wednesday, November 23, 2011

[PS3] Skyrim journeys

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim patch 1.2 will come after Thanksgiving according to a Tweet by one of the developers. I hope it addresses the lag issue (mainly a PS3 problem in this case) that I've been hearing about. So far I have not encountered any slow downs or crashes, but I'm not that far into the game, nor do I play it for many hours at a sitting. But slow downs and crashes are things I expected because every open world game by Bethesda that I've played have had these problems. I save the game every 15 minutes at least, on top of having the autosave function turned on.

The glitches I've encountered are graphical ones mainly -- an instance of missing wall graphics in Whiterun, and jagged edged shadows in the snow.


There is much to like about the game. And I can go on and on about how awesome the quests are and how interesting they seem and the clever twists and revelations. But I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might be reading this. And I recommend those who are thinking of getting the game and haven't yet, not to read any of the reviews or editorials about the game because of the risk of spoilers.

The only thing in the game that seems to be done poorly to me at the moment is the over-world map. It's bad design in terms of practically and useability. Very beautiful, but you can't use it like you could in previous ES games where maps can be used to find roads. Luckily, the game includes a paper map, but it only shows the main roads. On a side note, one observes that the roads in Skyrim are not as well defined as roads in Cyrodiil (the locale for ESIV: Oblivion), it's a bit more wild and not as busy, and not as well patrolled. Cyrodiil is almost too busy and choc-a-bloc with too many dungeons in one spot sometimes (dungeons = castles, caves, temples). There aren't as many types of flowers and plants to pick in Skyrim. I suppose it's the cold.


Also I vowed to stick with my first Breton character when I first started playing, but I have restarted and am now playing a Nord, leaning towards hunter type skills of light armor, one handed, sneak and archery. More to my playing style than a magic user. I will play a magic user down the road to experience the life of a mage in the north.

2 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...i have yet to play skyrim...been playing MW3 tonight and we were talking about it...might see if i can bum a copy tomorrow to give it a try...hear it can be quite addicting...smiles.

Ravenblack said...

It's certainly a world worth experiencing. :)

I will probably get MW3 when it hits the bargain bins. I've been enjoying Call of Duty games, but with each one, it feels more or less the same, thought it's still a blast to play.