Monday, February 27, 2012

Gender/Race preferences in gaming

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JakeShapiro/20120226/162843/Player_gender_and_race_in_video_games.php

I believe that deep down, we choose the gender and ethnicity we're familiar with because it's exactly that--familiar. It's comfortable to us. Video games are a unique artform because they allow us to personally walk a mile in someone else's shoes. You love walking in a pro athlete's cleats and a space marine's boots. Now try walking in heels.

- Shapiro. "Player gender and race in video games" at Gamasutra.


Interesting. It's just an opinion article and I don't totally agree with his hypothesis. When I play an rpg, my character's gender is usually male and the race doesn't matter as long as it's a good looking big size man. In subsequent playthroughs I would try different races and builds but I do tend to stay away from characters that require stealth skills to play well. I guess it's my playing style. And I guess I rather look at a nice looking man for a hundred hours than some pouty female with oversize boobs. Ok, not all games portray them that way, but a sexy skinny size woman carrying a great sword or axe is just plain ridiculous looking imho.

3 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

haha yeah many games portray women that way. I really just go with that they give me and that is that.

Ravenblack said...

I think the design of those characters is what the devs think will lure a certain group of gamers. I don't think it's much anything else. :) It's been a very long time I chose a female character and played completely through a game with one when I had a choice. I think it was Diablo 2 -- the genders are fixed to the classes but they were well done.

Pat Hatt said...

Last one I picked a female and went right through was left 4 dead I think.